The great news is there is a credit card sign up bonus that offers 50,000 points. Enough for two round trips to Hawaii and only $22 in taxes.
Which card gets you those two round trips? The Chase Sapphire Preferred card.
The Sapphire Preferred is one of the best personal credit cards in the market. It offers:
- 50,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards after spending $4,000 in the first three months
- 5,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards for adding an authorized user
- 2 Ultimate Rewards per dollar on travel and dining purchases
- 1 Ultimate Reward per dollar on all other purchases
- no annual fee the first year and $95 thereafter
Keep in mind for Korean Air bookings to Hawaii:
- You can only book Korean awards for yourself or immediate family members, with proof of relationships.
- Korean awards are the same price roundtrip or one way, so you have to book roundtrip (although an open jaw and stopover is allowed.) Delta awards can be booked one way (and then you can return home with another type of miles.)
Benefits to booking Korean awards to Hawaii:
- Korean awards cost fewer miles than Delta awards
- Korean awards have no change or cancellation fees if your plans change
- Korean awards of Delta flights to Hawaii do not have fuel surcharges, so both types of awards will just have identical taxes of $11 roundtrip
- Korean offers a stopover on roundtrip awards to Hawaii; Delta doesn’t
- Korean miles are easy to get
First Step: Availability
The total here shows the round-trip cost for one passenger at 50,000 and $11.20.
Now that we know what flights have availability, we can go to Korean Air and search for these exact same flights for a cheaper price.
Second Step: Booking via Korean Air
Be sure to click the SkyTeam Award when searching. The search won’t work if you don’t click the SkyTeam Award Link.